Book Review: A Gathering of Shadows

     


    Title: A Gathering of Shadows
Author:V.E Schwab
Published: 2016
Genre: Fantasy 

Blurb: Kell is one of the last magicians with the ability to travel between parallel universes, linked by the magical city of London. It has been four months since a mysterious obsidian stone fell into his possession and he met Delilah Bard. Four months since the Dane Twins of White London fell, and the stone was cast with Holland's dying body back into Black London. 

Now Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila. And as Red London prepares for the Element Games - an international competition of magic - a certain pirate ship draws closer. But another London is coming back to life. The balance of magic is perilous, and for one city to flourish, another must fall...


Plot 

This is the second book in this three part series and carries on four months after the story ends in book one. You really do need to read the first book before reading this one as a lot of the plot from the first still lingers in this one and the after effects go on to pave the way for what happens next. A Gathering of Shadows is definitely more light-hearted to begin with than A Darker Shade of Magic. It still holds an air of mystery and danger and darkness (particularly towards the end) but the plot focuses more on highlighting the different magical powers and their strengths with the Element Games being a big focal point. I think book one did such a great job at making me fall in love with the main characters that it was great that this one really went on to open up the magical city of Red London and brought the place to life. 

The plot was so well thought out. It was fun, fast, full of elemental magic and so immersing that I found hours had past and I was still reading. It's such a page turner, I couldn't put it down!

Character

I have so much love for these characters! in addition to the character you meet in book one including Kell, Lila and Rhy, a new addition in this one is Alucard Emery, captain of the Night Spire. Instantly it is hinted that there is more to him than meets the eye and what I loved was that he was initially introduced to the reader as someone Lila met in the four months between book one and two but unbeknownst to her, the reader discovers that Alucard has history with both Rhy and Kell and you have to wait to find out what it is! Like the others, I really liked Alucard's character. More than the others, he's more than what he seems and I liked him more and more the further I got into it. 

Kell is still my favourite though...think he might be one of my all time favourite character of any book I've read. 

Writing Style

V.E Schwab has a very clear descriptive writing style, it's easy to follow and yet there is so much detail to take in. And what I LOVED and haven't come across in a book i've read in ages is it ended on a cliffhanger!! I think cliffhangers are sometimes underrated. When done properly and at the right moment in the story they can be so infuriatingly effective. It felt as though she has ended the book mid-sentence (I double-checked...she didn't) but either way it make me grab for Book 3 instantly - I was hooked! 

Book Cover

I always like reviewing book covers because I'm always so drawn to pretty covers. Having read Book one, I guessed book two would be set mainly in Red London given the red background of the cover and this just made it more enticing to me. It's bold and the white of the title stands out perfectly!

Overall Conclusion:

There's no way I was giving this any less than a 5 stars. I barely put it down in two days and wish there wasn't only one more after this. 

Review Summary: 

Plot  ⭐
Characters 
Writing Style 
Book Cover: 

Overall Rating:  ⭐ ⭐ (5 Stars)


Comments