NaNoWriMo: Get Ready, Get Prepped...

 


    In my last post I mentioned how on my first experience of NaNoWriMo I was super unprepared and only reached about a third of my total word target. The biggest problem was I hadn't made much of a plan in advance, but I've since realised that it's not just about the pre-planning, it's also about keeping yourself motivated throughout the month! 50,000 words is a lot to write in 30 days, especially if you've also got a full time job to go to and other commitments to juggle. So this year I've put together a NoNoWriMo survival kit/checklist which is something I've seen a lot of people doing and will hopefully keep me going throughout the month! 


NaNoWriMo Survival Checklist 2020:

1. Weekly Word Target

This is something I do with my writing goals when I have deadlines to meet. Although breaking the target down into daily word counts may seem more manageable (and for some it might be) I am one of those people who find that no matter how much I plan out each day, something always comes up to ruin my routine. So instead, I set a weekly word count and write as much as I can each day and towards the end of the week I know how much I have to write to reach my target. Some week's I have less to do by the end of the week than others but I can take each day as it comes and there's a lot less pressure (most of the time). 


2. Create a writing playlist 

This is a popular one for a lot of writers! I always like to write with some sort of background music playing, even if it's just soundscapes, but sometimes it's useful to listen to songs that match the mood of your WIP or even just remind you of a particular scene you're writing. For me I found this a little tricky as I am writing a novel set in 1489, so trying to set the scene whilst listening to modern day pop and chart hits doesn't quite do the trick! So I've tried to think about the emotions and thoughts of my MC and that way they relate to the lyrics of the songs instead. 


3. Post It Notes 

Knowing you have a deadline to meet means that you don't really have the time to stop halfway through writing each time you have a new idea that's not related to the section of your WIP your working on. So I like to have post it notes at the ready for when a sudden idea does strike, that way I can quite scribble it down and carry on with the piece i'm writing without losing either my train of thought or a potential idea for later. 


4. Snacks

Being the type of person that can't sit still for too long and finds herself up and wandering to the kitchen for a snack for the an excuse to move about, I always make sure that if I'm sitting down to write I always have snacks and drink ready at my desk so that I have no excuse to stray. I would love to say that I stock up on chocolate and sweet and left over Halloween treats to keep me going and I would be lying if i said I wasn't sitting next to a half-eaten bag of Malteasers right now (🤷‍♀️) but if I'm going to spending most of my month sitting and writing, I don't then want to get to December (the month of advent calanders, gingerbread cookies and turkey dinners) to find I have to sign back up to the gym! Instead I make sure I stock up on healthy, long-lasting snacks that I don't have to feel guilty about. Some of my favourite are:

    • Cashew Nuts
    • Frozen grapes
    • Dried Fruit
    • Banana Chips
    • Energy Bars      


 5. Tea to Go...

This one is more for the longer writing stints but similar to snacking, I always make sure I have a hot drink next to me so that i don't have to keep getting up and down to go to the kitchen each time I wan't a cup of tea. So instead, I fill up a flask of tea to put beside me so that I have enough refills of tea to normally last a decent writing session, and by the time the flask is empty it's normally time for a break anyway! 


6. Take a break

Which leads me on to my most important survival kit checklist point. This is especially important if you find yourself getting towards the end of the month and you're racing to meet your target, you may feel inclined to push through and write as much as possible for as long as possible to reach that end goal but all you'll end up doing is exhausting yourself and getting disheartened and discouraged. It's important to schedule so time in to take a break and so something different. It will also recharge your creativity as well. 

You could go for a walk, or watch and episode of your favourite TV series or you could log on to NaNoWriMo and check out the forums or community groups. NaNoWriMo is hard work but it's also so much fun and you get to connect with so many other great writers who are pushing for the same goal as you. 

7. Reward Yourself 

Lastly, don't forgot that even if you get to Nov 30th and you've not reached that 50K mark, if you've got anything written down that month, you're further down the road than you were on Nov 1st and that is amazing!! Make use of the Badges on the site and acknowledge the little accomplishes along the way and even give yourself small rewards and the end of each week if you've met your weekly goals. Maybe treat yourself to a take away, a facial, or a new book? Whatever makes you happy, you've deserved it! 


Comments